.

Pages

Jack Bush





 I met Jack Bush a couple of times a week over about 6 weeks before i knew who he was.
In 1965 I was rejected by the OCA, I knew I was an Artist so I read that Artists hung out at the Pilot so I went there and sat at the bar. (mostly too early in the day because of my shift.)So there is a dapper little man in a quiet suit with steel gray hair and neatly trimmed mustache sitting beside me drinking Martinis. We struck up a conversation which rose to a level I wasn't used to. this guy had amazing insights into art etc and I really enjoyed talking to him. I ran into him several times and always had an enjoyable conversation.
It took me a couple of weeks to find out that the artists hung out in the big dark back room and rarely came in before 5pm.
It took me a while to break into the Artist clique in the back. I became friends with Jerry Santbergen who was a bit of an outsider himself at that time.
Jerry and I went into the Pilot for lunch one day and I passed my friend on the bar stool. I said Hi and he said" I see you found some artists." We went up to the back and Jerry said"Wow you know Jack Bush" He is a pretty good artist.
I didn't even know. Anyway I became a good friend of Jacks and we often talked at the bar He always invited me to his openings and he always was a joy to talk to.


No comments:

Post a Comment