.

Pages

Fats Domino

Fats Domino was playing the El Macambo. I was sitting in Grossman's when out of the blue Cliff Bastien asked I I wanted to go up the street and see Fats so I agreed we went up and caught the first set. Fats did his shtick with lots of hits to play with and had the place jumping.  When the set was over Cliff led me up to the dressing room and rapped on the door. Fats opened the door with a big smile and a hug for Cliff and invited us in. After the introduction, we sat down and cliff gave Fats the lowdown on a bunch of people in New Orleans. Fats smiled at me and said 'Damn he knows more about my family than I do." I learned that Cliff had lived in New Orleans for a while and Fats'uncle had taught Cliff how to play the banjo and Cliff was friends with quite a few of Fat's relatives. Fats dedicated a song to his friend 'Kid Bastien' in the second set. It was a night to remember. For the last number of the night, he thumps really hard and pushes the piano across the stage with his stomach as he plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment