.

Pages

Richard Hatfield


Premier Hatfield showed up for a party at my bar one night. It was for a record release party or some such thing for Rough Trade. Jack Backstrom was managing them and had made a deal with me to have the party there. It didn't mean I closed or anything. for the most part my patrons were the type of people you wanted at a musicians party. It was basically a gay party but sexual orientation didn't matter to me. I chatted with Richard for awhile he was a charming man and seemed to be enjoying himself.

The story takes a twist several years later when I ran into the Ontario ex-minister of Justice at the Press club. We were having a few and he proceeded to tell his side of the story. How he had to work all night with his staff keeping all the various police forces and departments away from my bar so Richard wouldn't accidentally get busted.We compared notes and had a few laughs over this night.

No comments:

Post a Comment